If you are getting a Windows system error that says “Failed to Format Selected Partition”, it may be due to a file system or partition that was not properly unmounted.
This blog will discuss how to resolve error 0x8004242d from disk partitioning. This error occurs when the drive is not formatted properly.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance. Error 004242d is usually accompanied by the following error message: The selected partition could not be formatted. Error: 004242d in popup window during Windows installation. Therefore, users cannot format the hard disk partition and install the platform. This article shows you how to troubleshoot partition formatting problems using DiskPart.
What causes the error message The selected partition could not be formatted (error 004242d)?
- The computer’s data cable is loose.
- A corrupt file system error was detected on the installation disk.
- The disk controller or driver is not up to date.
- Your Windows system is not compatible with the mass storage controller or the mass storage driver.
- The hard drive on which you want to install Windows is a dynamic drive.
How do I fix error 004242d – Failed to format selected partition?
updated June 2021:
We now recommend that you use this tool to fix the error. Moreover, this utility repairs common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. With this program you can quickly solve PC problems and prevent further problems:
- Step 1: Download the PC recovery and optimization tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step Two: Click Start Scan to detect problems in the Windows registry that may be causing problems with your PC.
- Step Three: Click Repair All to fix all issues.
Cleaning the hard disk with Diskpart
Cleaning the disk with Diskpart may resolve error 004242d (but it removes the data from the disk).
- To do this, open a command prompt by typing cmd into Run and pressing Ctrl + Alt + Enter.
- You can also open Command Prompt from the Windows installation window by clicking Restore Computer -> Troubleshooting -> Command Prompt.
- Type diskpart at the prompt and press Enter.
- Type list disk at the prompt and press Return to display the disk list.
- At the prompt, type select disk x (replace x with the actual disk number) and press Enter.
- Be sure to select the correct disk, because if you remove the disk, the data will be erased.
- Type clean all at the prompt and press Enter.
Formatting a partition during Windows installation
- Start the installation media. Enter your settings and click Install Now.
- Click I accept the license terms after reading the Microsoft software license terms.
- Then click Next.
- Click on Customize.
- Select Disk 0 Partition 1 and Delete.
- Then click OK when prompted.
- Repeat step 5 to remove partition 2 from drive 0.
- Then click New to create a new partition.
- Specify the size of the hard drive and then click Apply.
- Press OK when prompted.
- Select Disk 0 Partition 2 and click Format.
- Press OK when prompted.
- Formatting should be successful.
- You can click Next to reinstall Windows.
Both of the above methods may seem a bit complicated. Be very careful when you use it, because all actions are executed immediately and you can’t go back.
Converting a dynamic disk to a basic disk
To resolve error 004242d, some users may need to change their disks to Basic.
- First, save the dynamic disks that need to be converted to basic disks (you will delete them).
- Press the Windows key combination + R. This will open the Run option.
- Type diskmgmt.MSC in the Open from Run box and click the OK option.
- In the Disk Management window, the Type column indicates whether the volumes are simple or dynamic.
- From there, right-click on each dynamic volume and select Delete Volume.
- Then right-click on the drive and select Convert to Basic Disk.
Users can also convert a dynamic volume to a primary disk with a disk partitioner without losing data. However, only some free versions of disk partitioning offer the ability to convert dynamic disks to simple disks. However, it is possible to find free disk partitioning software that allows users to convert dynamic disks to basic disks. RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance.
frequently asked questions
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix failed to format the selected partition?
While the message itself is common, at times its not so easy to know what to do in order to fix the error. In this article, we will take you through a few steps to see what needs to be done. I have used a few different methods in removing the particulate from my hard drive. The first few were unsuccessful, until I found a great article on a Dell forum about how to resolve the error 0x8004242d on a Dell Optiplex 780.
How do I fix error 0x8004242d?
Error 0x8004242d is a code that can be encountered when a computer goes wrong, usually when formatting the system partition, which is used to store the operating system. This error can be caused by not knowing how to do the format properly. Below I will explain how to solve the problem with the error 0x8004242d. Error 0x8004242d is a Microsoft Windows error code that occurs when a device that requires reformatting or reinstalling Windows is unrecognizable or has been damaged and requires a clean install to resolve. This error can also happen when a device attempts to start up from a system recovery partition or when a recovery partition is not found.
How do you fix we couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one?
If a computer is booting and you see a pop-up saying “[1 or more partitions] failed to form or locate a new partition, a small icon of a screw that looks like a cube will appear in the corner of the desktop. This is a sign that one or more drives are not ready to be used. Click the icon to see a message box that will tell you what the problem is and what to do. If you’ve installed a new operating system, you might find that you can’t create a new partition. You can’t even locate an existing one. After you’ve gone through a number of potentially hard-to-solve solutions, you might decide to start using a professional partitioning tool. Not only does it solve the problem, but it’s also a blast to use.
Feedback,0x8004242d windows 10failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space 0x80042468we couldn't delete the selected partition 0x80070032we couldn't format the selected partition error 0x80042405we couldn't format the selected partition error 0x80070057 windows 10we couldn't delete the selected partition error 0x8007045d,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,we couldn't format the selected partition error 0x80070057 windows 10,we couldn't delete the selected partition error 0x8007045d,we couldn't format the selected partition error 0x800701b1,we couldn't format the selected partition error 0x80004005,0x8004242d windows 10,failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space 0x80042468,we couldn't delete the selected partition 0x80070032,we couldn't format the selected partition error 0x80042405