You have probably noticed this error message popping up on your computer screen. The MTP USB Device is not recognized. This may cause a MTP USB Device is not a recognized USB device. This is usually caused by a software program that is misconfigured. In order to fix this error, you will need to figure out the real cause of the error.
For many of us, the computer we use everyday is one of the most important devices we work with and have access to. We have been using computers for so long now that we have become accustomed to them and are quick to adjust to any troubleshooting issue we may encounter.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance.
If you connect your mobile phone to your computer and see the message MTP USB Device Failed, you are not the only one. you are not the only one. you are not the only one. you are not the only one. Many Windows users have reported this problem. Don’t worry, this problem can be solved. Here are some effective solutions you can try. MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol, which is supported by Andriod phones. If the MTP driver is not installed, you cannot transfer media files to or from Android devices.
What causes the MTPUSB device driver to fail?
USB MTP device errors are a common problem caused by the USB MTP device driver. This happens every time you want to connect your Android device to your computer. As you know, when you connect your Android device to your computer, Windows first installs the appropriate drivers for your Android device. In this case, it is the MTP USB device driver. In the image above, you can see that the device driver software has not been installed successfully (MTP USB Device Failed occurs due to an error in the MTP USB device driver). UAC can prevent certain device drivers from being installed on your computer. This may cause the USB MTP device to fail. In such a situation, you can use the command line to solve the problem. The failure of a USB MTP device can also be caused by incorrect registry settings. That is, if the registry settings are set so that the external device cannot be recognized and installed. Here is how to change the registry settings to correct the situation. This article explains how to solve the problem of USB MTP device/driver failure. There is more than one solution. If you are not sure of the exact cause of this problem, you can try these solutions one by one until you find the right one.
Fix the error in the USB MTP device driver
updated June 2021:
We now recommend that you use this tool to fix the error. Moreover, this utility repairs common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. With this program you can quickly solve PC problems and prevent further problems:
- Step 1: Download the PC recovery and optimization tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step Two: Click Start Scan to detect problems in the Windows registry that may be causing problems with your PC.
- Step Three: Click Repair All to fix all issues.
Obtaining administrator privileges from the command line
You may have problems using MTP because you do not have administrator rights on your computer. You can solve this problem by following the steps below:
- Press Windows+S on the keyboard.
- Type cmd (without the quotes).
- In the window that appears, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- If you are asked if you want to allow the prompt, just click Yes.
- When the command prompt opens, type the following command: net local group Administrators local service /add
- Press the Enter key.
- Now check if you can connect your device to your computer.
Installing the MTP Carrier Kit
Some users report that installing the MTP porting kit helped them solve this problem. So there’s no harm in doing the same. Here are the steps:
- Go to the official Microsoft website and download the MTP Porting Kit.
- Double-click on the installation file to start it.
- Use a USB cable to connect the camera to the computer. Check if the error persists.
Tip: If you already have the MTP Porting Kit installed on your computer, you just need to update it to make sure it works properly.
Restore Registry Settings
It is also possible that you have incorrect entries in your registry. So, one of the ways to fix MTP USB driver issues in Windows 10 is to recover problematic keys. However, make sure you back up the registry before doing this. Remember, this is a confidential database. Even the smallest error can prevent the system from starting up correctly.
- Start the Run dialog box by pressing Windows+R on the keyboard.
- Now type Regedit (without the quotes) in the Run dialog box. Press the Enter key to continue.
- After opening the registry editor, navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControl/Class.
- Press Ctrl+F on your keyboard, then search for Portable Devices.
- Switch to the right control panel. Here you should see the portable devices (default).
- When you see UpperFilters, right click on it. Select Delete from the options offered.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance.
Frequently asked questions
- While holding down the Windows key, press R.
- You can also press the Windows key and type in Device Manager to find it.
- Expand Mobile devices and search for your device.
- Right click on it and select Update drivers.
- Select Scan my computer for driver software.
First, make sure the device is configured to connect as a media device: Connect the camera to a PC with a suitable USB cable. Check that the USB port shows Connected as a media device. Otherwise, click on the message and select Media Device (MTP). In the Search for Drivers on Your Computer window, select Select from the list of drivers on your computer. In the Select a device driver to install for this hardware window, select USB MTP device and click Next. Follow the on-screen wizard instructions to complete the installation.
- Download the MPT (Media Transfer Protocol) porting kit from the official Microsoft website.
- Install it on your computer.
- Restart your computer.
- Reconnect the mobile phone to the computer with the USB cable.
How do I fix MTP USB device failed?
There are two possible causes of this error message: 1. The MTP device driver for your device is not installed 2. The MTP device driver for your device is missing In this blog, I show you how to check both of these possibilities with a couple of simple troubleshooting tools. MTP is the media transfer protocol used by USB devices to transfer data. This includes smartphones, cameras, memory cards, games consoles, and other devices. A driver is a piece of software that allows a device to be used and interacted with. For example, a driver allows a computer to recognize the device, and load its own software to use it. However, sometimes a driver fails. We will take a look at how to check if your device is working correctly.
How do I manually install MTP USB drivers?
You’re probably wondering why your Galaxy S21 is unable to connect to your computer. The answer is simple: you need to install the MTP device driver. MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol, and Samsung uses it to transfer data between the Galaxy S21 and your computer. Without MTP, you won’t be able to transfer files or install new apps. Having lost my USB drivers for my Samsung Galaxy S2, I needed to install them again. So, what do you do when you can’t find the drivers you need? You’re backed up with the knowledge that “The manual way” just works for most people most of the time.
Why is my MTP not working?
After a sudden change in my MTP fixing process, I found out that the SMS to MTP backup process is not working. I made a video to help you with this problem and the post is below… An MTP device is a mobile phone accessory that allows you to connect a USB flash drive to a mobile phone. It is usually used when you need to transfer images or videos to your phone for taking pictures or videos.